Thursday, January 17, 2008

Review: Rise of the Revolution

So last Saturday a few of us went out to a show at the Catalyst. I'm sorry to say we weren't able to capture any pictures of the, let's call them events, that took place.

We purposely showed up a little late, because to be honest, we only wanted to see Rise of the Revolution. And a few of us wanted to experience the Catalyst now that we've all turned 21. The view from the balcony is just that much better.

Nevertheless, we opted to stay at ground level, sip a few beers and chill of those blunts. And let me say it made the concert just that much better. I've always loved the venue at the Catalyst. For some reason, you always leave with a story. From when we went to see Hieroglyphics to watching The Heroes in the City of Dope,I've loved every second at the Catalyst. And upon first entering I was scared this would have to stop.

Paloma, was... let me say, intriguing. I must say, that if you didn't like my argument hour on Kenny George, this is where you should skip to the Fubar part of the review. But to be honest ladies of Paloma. Singing should definitely be a part time thing for you ladies. You guys are decent, but the kind of decent that is reserved for house bands at local dive bars. So much that I had to look up your names because you didn't really leave too much of an impression. In fact, I remember you saying, "I can't even do this without a shot" an obvious plea to gain more yells and sreams. I'm sorry. Maybe it was a bad night, but I guess I'll reserve the rest of my judgement, because this is more mean than I feel like being today.

Fubar! Did not exactly steal the show, but they were definitely better than Paloma. They gave off that Sublime feel, which few could really pull off. Not to mention they hit up a Too Short cover, that is much appreciated in the bay. And I admit, they did have a lack of stage presence, but only because there was only so much they could do on stage giving their, disabilities. For my first time hearing them, I would say they are definitely something to look out for.

Rise of the Revolution! They definitely held it down. And let me say that I would have definitely paid a bit more attention if it wasn't for the cracked out guy chillin around the stage. But we'll get to him later. I enjoyed their music, because it was much more than feel good music. It was music for a purpose. Music affecting the belief that we can achieve a greater unified good. And I like that. They discussed topics that we are all too often too afraid to address. And I'm happy that there are still some people out there willing to address these things. They had a unique sound with a mix of percussion, keyboards, turntables, and a mix of vocals coming from Ali, and I'm sorry to say, but I forgot the other guy's name.

Now let, me tell you about the sideshow! Haha, because to be honest that guy was crazy. I first noticed this cracked out black guy in all white and a baby blue beanie, when he was jumping in circles during Paloma. He followed this up with a long set of mean muggin during Fubar, and for the big finally, 10 minutes of what I would call a crab position on the floor, 5 minutes more of mean muggin, callin a young girl from Iran a bitch and finally representin that M-town, out there in Santa Cruz. A definite you had to be there to get the vibe.

But check out that Rise track featuring the Grouch, it's one that shouldn't be missed. Peace!

No comments: