Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thoughts: Perception

You know to be honest. I want to be liked. Not more than anything, but I want to be friends with everyone. I want a lot in this world. I want to learn this, and I want to learn that. But one thing I want, is I want people to enjoy my company. I want to be able to talk to people and understand what they are going through. I want to feel the highs and the lows. It's just something that I've always wanted. No background story, it was just there.

This is random, but I've been watching some Nip Tuck lately, and it brought about a few thoughts.

Perception. How much thought do we put into the things we do? I heard this line, that went about the lines of, "you went to school, so that people would look at you differently" And it made me think. Why am I out here learning anything? How much of what I do is based on how I want to be perceived. I do a lot because I like to do it. But I think maybe somewhere along the lines, I might have lost direction. Started using the things I love, to inflate my self esteem. And perhaps, somewhere along the way, I lost this love.

Like I said. I want to be liked. But part of being liked, is being perceived as a person that you can relate to. Am I lost, in my constant need to be perceived this way? What is really me. Everyone has their own perception of everything else in this world How they view love, how they view truth or whatever. If not, then we wouldn't have so much to talk about during the argument hour. We can change the way we are perceived, in turn changing other people's perception.

We live every second of everyday around other people. Whether it be physical or mental. It directs us in ways we can't imagine. I may not achieve everything I plan on achieving, I've come to terms with that. But one thing we can all do, is realize this. Perception is not devoid of truth. Not all perceptions are true. Not all truth is perceived. But we can all exude a pattern of truth, honesty and outright goodness. Drama people is bullshit. Hope we can all do our best to cause the least damage possible

2 comments:

Messy Jessie said...

I've learned, but not yet believed, that perception is truth in marketing. Is that so?

I must say, I agree with your last statements. Be righteous and maybe you'll spark a little good in others.

Anonymous said...

"We are, as Aristotle long ago observed, social animals. We speak and think in words we learned from others. We long to connect, to belong, and to be well thought of."

courtesy of my social psychology text book. =)
I think you would enjoy social psych. hah nice post.