Monday, November 5, 2007

Argument Hour: Love

Well I've been a little off point people, so I decided to write about something everybody has an opinion about. What is it? Does it exist, and how do you feel it?

There are a lot of different ways we could go about this, but I decided to write about one of my favorites. Love at first site. I've heard far too many people say that it's not possible, that it can't happen and what not. Basically with the general thinking, how could you know that a person is the right one with just a glance. I know I'm gonna get a bunch of shit for this but here is what I say.


First of all, why would you not want to believe in such a thing as love at first site. That somewhere out there a little cupid is setting people up for the best thing in their life. I know, hard to comprehend, the idea that you can look at someone and just know that they are the right one. That the instant you lay eyes on this person, emotion comes over you like nothing else you've ever experienced.

Call me hopeless, but isn't that something you would hope to happen. That the perfect person for you is only a glance away at any point in your life. I'm not saying you should expect it to happen, or that it will even happen, but that it is possible. That one day you might be backpacking through Europe or at a friends party and you'll meet someone that just takes your breath away. I think it's possible. How many times have you heard, when getting told a story of how people first met, "I knew the moment I saw her/him" It happens.

Now I remind you, don't go around saying this about every good looking person you meet, because it doesn't work that way. Just because you say something like that to yourself, doesn't mean that it'll necessarily happen. But be open to the possibility. That no matter where you are there could be someone near by that is your complete compliment.

8 comments:

yabbasaid said...

funny you should post this up, I just wrote and essay about "love".

yabbasaid said...

i'll post it up as a blog or something you should check out this book

"LOVE IS A STORY" by Robert J. Sternberg


he basically talks about how you can relate love to a story, and they many examples that love is a story. its pretty crazy when you think about it.

beetea said...

oh that silly thing called love. i agree with you that it is possible to fall in love at first sight. but falling in love is easy and falling out of it takes a bit of practice. (sorta stole that line from sage francis, heh.) love can be anything, as long as it is between you and your significant other.

virg said...

what about brotherly love? Howla!.. haha yizzer bryan!

nar said...

I don't really see love at first sight as something logical. Cause love is different between each couple. Love changes and is constantly put to challenge. If love can survive, evolve, and grow from a relationship, then it because something nice. But we cant get this by first sight.

But I believe that there is infatuation at first sight. Which could lead to love. It's all how you look at it. But hey, thats just my opinion.

virg said...

But I think sometimes it's more than infatuation. Becomes infatuation just comes with beauty, but love comes with more than that. It comes with thought and perception. And sometimes you can see something in a person, that no one else can, and maybe those things that you are able to see in them, is that thought of something more, the perception of you and that person in the future. We'll see though man.. we'll see..

Messy Jessie said...

I'd have to say I don't believe in love at first sight. Although, it is something that we'd all like to believe is possible.
To me-
Love is a strong bond that has grown after getting to know someone. It is a bond that is still present EVEN after learning one's flaws and still accepting the person. It is beyond physical desires, it's an emotional bond that ties you to a person, and even then, it can be beyond emotional. This leads to how I don't think you can really KNOW a person in a second or at sight. Knowing someone takes so much energy and time. I believe that one can have thoughts of the POSSIBILITY of falling in love with someone when seeing them.

BUT
I also believe...

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
If you wanted to love someone, I believe that you can. If you want anything bad enough, you can achieve it. [emotional] Mind over matter...



I don't know, I'm a Gemini-
Duality causes me to see all sides to every point. Which can be a bad thing at times; I'm torn.

virg said...

But see love at first site is still an option even in your description because there is possiblity that you could so a lot in a person, just from their demeanor, or at first site. You could see how they carry themselves, how they walk, how they talk and what not.

Secondly, there's no saying you cannot feel a strong bond after seeing these things and feeling the emotion that follows, after the initial encounter.

The one thing I can't defend against is the argument that Love is mutual, and that it gives and it takes, so feeling it opposed to knowing love at first site is a bit of an obstacle