Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Movies - I'm Not Here



Well it's tough to describe in words, but it definitely is a must see. Let me try to explain my enthusiasm for this movie.

It is a very artistic film based on Bob Dylan. Now I know right there some people got a bit turned off, but so was I. When I heard what it was about I thought, "I'm not going to understand any of it, I don't know what Bob Dylan represented, what his music was like, shoot I don't even know the titles of any of his songs." But like it or not, he was a an artist of phenomenal magnitude.

The layout of the movie, isn't in your normal format. Basically, they take apart the life of Bob Dylan, his love, his friends, his thoughts, his idols, everything. And they characterize them. Each facet of Bob Dylan is depicted in a separate person, in a different way. Now given, you're going to go through perhaps the first 30-45 minutes thinking, "What am I watching?" But once you get through that, onto some of the more provoking scenes, you'll get hooked. Just like I was.

The film has a bit of an entourage, Christian Bale, Richard Gere, Cate Blanchett, and Heath Ledger are some of the people that get to portray Bob Dylan. And let me say, that they do not disappoint. If you know what Bob Dylan looks and sings like, then you'll be okay. Because believe it or not, in the clip I posted, Cate Blanchett is supposed to be Bob.

Now to the reason why I believe it is a great movie. It brought up a lot of really great points. Some that I actually plan on reviewing. For example, idolatry, poetry, lyrics and the masses. They spoke about how some people just listen to the sound, and do not really listen to the words. They also discuss, the concept of "selling out" and becoming something other than what you're viewed as.

Now, I liked this for personal reasons, and I saw the film in a way that may not be apparent in other people's view of the movie, but for me, I'm giving this movie an 8.5 out of 10. A point deduction for my complete loss at the beginning, and the .5 deduction because it is quite a lengthy movie. So go look up the trailer, or maybe a few clips, and if you like, check it out.

2 comments:

markiebe said...

im always down for a flick, especially if its about a musical figure. thumbs up!

beetea said...

i see/ hear bob dylan's songs as folk tales. theres always a good meaning/ story behind them. must watch.