Friday, November 30, 2007

Argument Hour - Writer's Strike

I'm not sure how many people are following this, but I NEED my TV shows. But with this writer's strike, not nearing any sort of compromise, it's time to voice my opinion. You may have your opinion, but I have mine, and that is what you are going to hear.

Now as a business major, I can see this in the business sense. And actually the studios are doing a pretty good job at keeping this on the low. It has made news, but no major headlines, no drama, just a strike. This is all working for the studio's favor, they get to hold out longer, and keep postponing resolution.

Here's how I feel:

  • Right. The writer's deserve this. They are justified in their actions. They are asking for 3% of profits off of web content. They may not put the web content together, but they write it. How hard is it to give them 3% of what you make off of those things.
  • Cost. How much more is it costing you to not pay these writers. Let's calculate this. There are tons of losses. Re-runs do not get any where near as much viewers, that means less demand for advertising space. This also means less views on the website, because of the lack of new material, which also results in a decrease in demand. You are losing viewers and also
  • Losers. I took this one from my sister, but it seems that with this strike, you have to wonder, who are the real losers. The corporations and their profits? The writers? It might actually be hurting the little people. I don't mean me and you. But the unseen heroes in the studio. The camera people, the lighting and effects people. All these people are out of work. It's not like the corporations are crying over the loss of these employees.
Just some thoughts for today

No comments: