Friday, April 25, 2008

Taste Closes: Two Sides of the Story


Taste Ultra Lounge, in our very own city will be closing its doors on April 26th. I admit, I've gone a few times, and it's been a little here and there. Nothing too special but nothing horrible either. I got the chance to go there yesterday and talk to a few people that were waiting to get in line, and I found out a few things that I hadn't previously been aware of that I found a bit disturbing.

I'm not one to really believe the first thing I hear but there seemed to be a theme throughout the night.

"Why are they even closing anyway?"
"Because San Jose hates Latinos and Asians"

I checked out the owner's blog and he discussed how leasing contracts among other things have been causing him problems and how the city has been giving him a hard time.

the blog

If his allegations are true, this is something that we definitely need to keep an eye out for here in San Jose. But at the same time, all the stupid ass brawls and fights need to come to an end because really, we're not helping ourselves, our point or anyone by needlessly bickering. If you think about what is going on the city might have legitimate reasons for closing down taste. But at the same time, the owners have tried everything in their power to prevent this from happening. I admit the theme of the night may be correct. And it isn't something that should be tolerated. San Jose may dislike Asians and Latinos, but ask yourselves, "why?"

Taste we'll miss you on those warm Thursday nights.

LATE!

2 comments:

markiebe said...

i read his blog too and thought it was messed up. and if the building owners have a problem with Asians and Hispanics thats just stupid considering we make up more than half of the San Jose population. Its good to hear that the owners of Taste arent backing down and are looking for another location to re-open the club.

see. BLANCO said...

I admit I had some good times at taste, but after a while I started to hate it because i would see the same dumbasses all the time but thats besides the point. The fact that they closed it down becaue of "to many asians and mexicans" isnt something that should fly, especially in the bay area where diversity is embraced. All in all fuck taste, at the same time fuck racial discrimination.