Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Thoughts: Soldiers

America has been at war for a while now. A war that, at the moment, does not seem to have any real conclusion. And I admit, at this point, this is not a war that I am in support of. For one, those who have read, the art of war, can see that it goes against many of Sun Tzu's philosophies. But I'm not here today, to hate on the war in Iraq. But rather to honor one of the soldier's who is going to be out there defending the U.S. and everything we believe in.

Cong Nguyen



I have a lot of respect for this man. A cocky bastard yes. But he has a lot to be proud of. He has gone from place to place, living here and there, and adjusting to whatever has come his way. From Oregon, to San Jose and Orange County he's pretty much stayed the same. I met him my 7th grade year, and we've been friends ever since. Always with a smile on his face, I have never seen him frown, or be sad. A constant source of inspiration, proof that no matter where you come from you can do big things. He's gone a good portion of his life, fending for himself, and along the way, also for those that he cares about. He's worked his way through college, transferring from OCC, to UCSD in less than 2 years, and continuing on towards his goal of being a teacher. But now, he's off to Iraq for 400 days. Something he's never really complained about, just something he knew he had to do. In a year when so much was going his way, he's getting sent to the desert. I can never do his story justice, but know that he is a good person, who has carried a lot on his shoulders, and done it all in stride.

Take Care out there Buddy.

1 comment:

beetea said...

be safe my man and goodluck. come home to us when you're done brotha =)