Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Argument Hour: Misconceptions

This is all stemming from a recent trip to San Francisco, one that was actually pretty eventful, and might actually be the inspiration for a few more posts, but since it seems like it has been a while, since anyone has actually been up on this I think it should be my turn to finally put a little two cents in.

The day was actually pretty random, nice and chill. Basically we went for two things, tickets for Popsicle and to chill in SF. Upon meeting up with a few friends we just decided screw it let's drink a 40 and made our way up to hippie hill, to kick it amongst the crowd. We chose a spot a little near the trees, in a nice open patch between some knocked out bum, some guy who almost got shot up and a big ass black guy BBQ-ing.

I sat back, analyzing the situation. Not realizing how much stereotypes were actually coming into play. Everything from, the dirty white guy, to the big black guy and the smell of weed all around. Little did I know that my thoughts were completely wrong.

I like to take everyone for who they are, but little as I'd like to admit it, stereotypes and misconceptions come into play more than I would really like. I saw the big black guy, walking around with his shirt off, Mickey's in hand and all I could think of was, "this guy thinks he runs this place." Like he can't be touched.

But here's what I've come to learn from my years of experience. People are generally nicer than you think. Everyone has their good side, and everyone has their bad. The difference is, what people decide to show more often. But I kind of see it as, if you're having fun and not hurting anyone, I don't see why anyone should hate on what you're doing.

So the big black guy starts talking, and he says something to us. And I kind of decide to just see what this guy's real deal is. So I ask him what he was grillin up. And nicely he says, "Some fuckin jalepeno hamburger's dog." And it went on from there:

"Can I Get One?"
"Yeah man, first one to get here can have it. Hold up though, in order to come over you better be sippin' on a Mickey's."
So I pulled my 40 out of my brown paper bag, "Whatchu know bout' that son?"
"Go ahead and grab some bread, just save one for my homie"

The story continued on with me introducing my self. Him asking if I need some crack, and me taking down a number, just in case one day, I decided to get some. What could I say? He delivered (crack not burgers). So long story short, I like to get proved wrong when it comes to my initial thoughts and perceptions. Another realization that you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

No comments: