Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jay Smooth The "Hipster Ironic VIce Magazine Thing"



Jay Smooth's latest video blog is really a must-watch. He touches on a number of subjects - way beyond just Asher Roth - but what I was happy to hear was him critiquing the racist "vice magazine thing," which is one of the first times I've heard cats really openly dis the arrogant, racist hipster attitudes that have been pervasive the past several years. I talk a lot of crap about hipsters and their silly outfits, but what is really behind my hatred of (mostly white) hipsters has been the way they have infiltrated hip-hop and, in varying degrees, claimed ownership of a Black artform in extremely arrogant ways. I could go on and on about this, but Jay Smooth lays it down much better and more succinctly than I could, so just watch the video.

No comments: